Q: Dear Dr. Mao,
I have had blood tests that reveal high levels of LDL(134) and low levels of HDL(36). My doctor wants me to take Vytorin and a niacin-based pill. Can you advise me a way to stop taking the drugs?
A: I suggest you discuss your concerns with your physician; he has reasons for prescribing the medication. Niacin supplementation in general is a natural way of helping lower cholesterol. You may also try the “Ancient Treasures” tea and the “B-Slim” and “Super Clarity” formulas from the Traditions of Tao.
I also recommend the following:
1. The best way to reduce cholesterol is exercise. Take up tai chi or qigong exercises. Practice cardio-stimulating exercises at least three times a week.
2. Avoid smoking, alcohol, fatty foods, meats or saturated fats, cheese, and sugars.
3. Incorporate into your diet: more apples, bananas, carrots, cold deep-water fish, dried beans, garlic, grapefruit, olive oil, and fibers such as bran and oats.
4. Make tea from hawthorn berry, chrysanthemum, and cassia seed. Drink three times a day.
5. Cook a soup from celery and yellow squash and eat once a day for the next 20 days.
6. Supplements include: Niacin, B5, C, E, chromium picolinate, lecithin, and Coenzyme Q10.