Q: Dear Dr. Mao,
I get a serious case of bronchitis every fall. Is there something I can do to prevent it or to get rid of it sooner?
A: Catching colds and upper respiratory infections are directly attributed to a compromised or weak immune system. You need to strengthen your immunity. I recommend that you contact a licensed Traditional Chinese Medicine practitioner who can readily assist you with proper treatment and preventive protocols.
In the mean time, try this:
1. Avoid dairy products, fried foods, and stimulating foods such as coffee, alcohol, and tobacco. Avoid stress and get plenty of sleep.
2. Before fall begins, you should increase your intake of ginger, onions, garlic, bamboo shoots, cabbage, beets, beet top tea, carrots, leafy greens, yams, and organic chicken.
3. At the first signs of a cold, drink ginger tea to induce light sweating.
4. Take vitamin C and vitamin E daily.
5. Avoid exposing your upper back and neck to the cold, and practice proper hygiene by washing your hands often.
You may also find the following products helpful for boosting the immune system and combating symptoms of bronchitis: “Chest Congestion”, “Immunity”, and “Perpetual Shield”. Of course, discuss with your physician before beginning any new health regime.