Q: Dear Dr. Mao,
I have both acne and eczema. What can I do to clear up these skin issues?
A: Acne and eczema are associated with the lungs and the immune system. Acne is specifically a condition of “heat” in the lungs, while the immune system is often affected by stress.
I suggest the following:
1. Avoid fried, fatty, oily, and spicy foods, coffee, alcohol, stimulating foods, sugars, chocolate, ice cream, and soft drinks (especially diet drinks). You should reduce your intake of dairy products, especially cheeses. Do not eat red meat or shellfish.
2. Avoid stress, constipation, and get plenty of sleep.
3. Incorporate the following into your diet: squash, cucumbers, watermelon, winter melon, celery, cabbage, beet tops, dandelions, broccoli, seaweed, aloe vera, mulberry leaf, carrot tops, lettuce, potatoes, cherries, papaya, pears persimmon, buckwheat, millet, brown rice, mung beans, and plenty of water.
4. Drink lukewarm water with two teaspoons of honey every morning on an empty stomach.
5. Apply aloe vera to affected areas on the skin.
6. Drink tea made from carrot tops, carrots, and beet tops.
7. Eat dandelion salad, and drink dandelion green tea.
You may also find the following Traditions of Tao herbal supplements helpful in clearing up acne: “Acne and Blemish“, “Internal Cleanse”, and “Exquisite Skin” from Traditions of Tao helpful for clearing up acne and eczema. Of course, discuss with your physician before beginning any new health regime.